Topic: Foam disks

Re: Foam disks

I see the most difficult hurdle in improving range to be maintaining sufficient angular velocity to keep them stable.  I am thinking that we may be able to add rubber o-rings, or silicon rubber bumpers to generic foam discs in order to both improve the airfoil characteristics and add mass in a uniform ring, while maintaining safety.

I've given this quite a bit of thought, perhaps the obvious option is the best. Simply a source of friction on one side would cause sufficient spin.

This would affect the flight of the disc but this could be compensated for.

I hope this is a satisfactory first post

The only unsatisfactory first posts are the ones you don't make. :-)

O-rings on the edges could improve seal too. Interesting.

I suppose at this stage I should plan to test a few different ideas. I should also test balls while I'm at it.

Last edited by PVC Arsenal 17 (2011-04-16 05:28:41)

Hop-up was the word that I was looking for, it had escaped me at the time.

If a high volume pneumatic were to be used, and efficiency was no issue, perhaps having a channel in the barrel on one side which gases was to be passed through. that would provide some spin (presuming the disc was a loose fit in the barrel), and sufficient propulsion.

I think I'll have to build a test bed pneumatic.

I was thinking about using something similar to hop-up to get spin earlier, but I'm not too sure how effective it will be. I suppose we can't know until we try it. I'd be interested in any test results posted. If I remember and have the time this summer I'll investigate it myself.

I think the wisest course just right now is to wait for Nerf.  They claim

The "bot stop question" threw away 90% of my post.  That's a serious bug.  Forum-killer as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Bob O`Bob (2011-04-18 06:07:31)

That's annoying and regrettable. I've disabled the feature.

Last edited by PVC Arsenal 17 (2011-07-14 00:37:35)

Foam is pretty limiting, but it defines the hobby.

I kinda think of myself more as a hobby ballistician now than a Nerfer or spud gunner. That's really more what I'm interested in. I suppose you feel about the same too.

As for the posting problems, could you describe in detail what precisely happened? Like in steps? That'd be helpful. I am yet to see this problem myself.

Last edited by btrettel (2011-07-28 23:21:14)

That's strange and helpful.

The security question is supposed to be asked once. I've disabled it (again---I thought I kept it off).

Thanks.

Last edited by PVC Arsenal 17 (2011-09-06 01:06:45)